In the number of years of growing our own herbs and produce, on occasion we may have all purchased seeds from a grocery store or garden supplies store. As we brush off the dust that has settled on each package, one may notice the seeds looked quite normal and were ridiculously cheap. But as the plants begin to grow in size and take shape, one cannot help but grow weary of what our families are actually eating. It is difficult not to wonder: how long were the seeds in the store for? Were they exposed to the sun, rain and other elements? Were these
seeds genetically modified? Or perhaps inoculated with pesticides? Is there a possibility that these seeds were hybrid or pollinated in a controlled environment, and are now unable to regenerate a seed for future planting? In essence, life is like a package of store bought seeds, you never know what you’re going to get. We soon begin to realize that all seeds are not alike.
The Difference: This is why Humble Seed has a different philosophy that allows you more control over your gardening and what ultimately goes on your plate. We do this by ensuring our seeds are non-genetically modified and non-hybrid, we feature numerous organic and heirloom varieties as well. In addition, all of our products are carefully stored within temperature controlled environments prior to being shipped directly to your home or business. Our convenient garden seed kits offer you the ability to:
- Grow herbs and vegetables that are fresher and more nutritional than their store-bought counterparts.
- Save money by purchasing seeds in bulk and growing your own foods.
- Engage your family around a backyard experience, and educate children on the importance of gardening for a sustainable way of living.
- Learn how to garden in convenient, inexpensive, and informative ways.
- Sustain yourself with garden know-how in case future disasters deplete our food supplies.
Themed Bundled Packages:
When you purchase a garden kit, you get to choose from a variety of carefully themed packages that are convenient and wonderful for busy lifestyles. Whether you are a spicy food fan and prefer a variety of hot and spicy chilies, want to grow your own herb garden, or someone who
follows a raw, vegetarian or healthy diet and desires the freshest and most nutritious vegetables to choose from; Humble Seed has a package that will suit your gardening needs. We also offer The Producer, a bulk seed kit with a vast array of fruits and vegetables for larger gardens.
Safe Packaging: Our seeds are never exposed to harsh conditions and are stored in environmentally controlled conditions until shipping. This ensures optimum germination when planting. Before being shipped, seeds are packaged in re-sealable Mylar® bags which provide further seed protection, as well as the opportunity to plant right away or in the future.
We Believe In Open-Pollinated Seeds: Humble Seed features seeds that are open-pollinated. This means that each seed is naturally pollinated by birds, insects, wind, and other natural processes. Outside of our jalapeno, hybrid parent plants are never used, and your seeds can be harvested and re-planted, producing the same plant as the parent.
Guaranteed Non-GMO Seeds: We use only non-GMO seeds and ensure that seeds were never genetically modified or changed, and will traditionally grow the same plant in which originated. Non-GMO seeds also contain the maximum amount of nutrition a human needs to sustain vitality and good health. How much do you know about Genetically Modified plants and seeds? Take the quiz below!
Test your GMO Knowledge! Quiz yourself with these True-False and Multiple Choice questions.
1. What are three of the most common genetically modified foods?
a. corn, soy and potatoes
b. broccoli, soybeans and carrots
c. almonds, green beans, tomatoes
d. Walnuts, parsley and kiwi
2. (True or false) The top five most common genetically modified foods are genetically modified to produce their own insecticide.
3. Which television network showed a poll that found 93% of people want the government to require labeling on GMO foods?
d. The Food Network
4. (True or false) In the genetic modification process, biotech scientists often use viruses and bacteria to invade cells of plants and in-plant foreign genes.
5. Based on animal research, what problems can result from consuming GMO foods?
a. reproductive problems
d. all of the above
6. (True or false) One way to identify GM seeds is to simply look at the package.
Answers: 1)a, 2)True, 3)b, 4)True, 5)d, 6)False